Day 152 October 5, 2011 Maple Ridge to Burnaby 46km

6 Oct

I made it

It was cold and wet this morning and I was sure I had only just gone to sleep when my alarm started going off, but as I got up there was a hint of the fun to take place today.

The 6km run to Maple Ridge was wet but our pace was swift in anticipation of what was to come. As we turned the corner and came down a hill we saw a police car waiting for us with a reporter and the mayor of Maple Ridge. After introductions and some discussion about the run we started off, our RCMP escort out in front with lights flashing.

Mike and I continued on along the Lougheed Hwy listening to the mostly friendly honks from the morning traffic. After about 10km we stopped for some water and another reporter showed up for an interview and to take some photos. At one point she wanted to take pictures of Mike and I stretching, and Mike got a panicked look on his face as he tried to decide what stretch to do.

As we started up again a 2nd RCMP officer, this time from Coquitlum joined us. Our Ridge Meadows escort peeled off as we entered Port Coquitlum and were joined by yet another RCMP car and a fire truck. At the same time Don Konantz arrived with 7 wonderful ladies from West Van who had come out to run. The 9 of us continued across the Pitt Meadows Bridge and as we approached the border to Coquitlum Rob Snowden pulled up with William Morse, a friend of mine from high school who joined in the run. Literally around the next corner we were met by three more fire trucks along with 10 or so fire fighters in their running gear. Now we had almost 20 people running and a huge escort as we continued along the highway. The ladies from West Van were delighted to now be surrounded by fire fighters!

Shortly thereafter my friend Wendy appeared by the side of the road with her son Cameron and the two of them joined in for a short jog alongside the growing group of runners. We continued in this fashion, with the Coquitlum fire fighters running until Burnaby and trading off with the Burnaby Fire Department, with some of their fire fighters running. As soon as we crossed into Burnaby I finally started to recognize my surroundings and the fact that I was nearing Vancouver really started to sink in a bit more. Just before cresting our last real hill before finishing we passed Rob Snowden again, this time cheering with some of his coworkers from Paladin Security by the side of the road.

As we turned on to Boundary Road and into the Trev Deeley Motorcycle dealership I was pretty excited.

The rest of the day was spent enjoying a beer over lunch at Earls, touring the motorcycle museum at the dealership, and thanks to the short day finally catching up on my blog.

Tonight is my last night in the MCC and it’s a little bittersweet. I’m pretty sure I won’t miss RV living, early mornings, blisters or the five H’s but I will miss spending my day meeting interesting people, seeing incredible scenery, and having no task to focus on other than putting one foot in front of the other. It’s been an incredible experience and if we’ve convinced even a few men to get checked, a totally worthwhile endeavor.

Tomorrow I will enter Vancouver

Comments are closed.